Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bill Nye- The Science Guy?

The past few weeks haven't been so great. I decided to quit smoking. I woke up one morning and thought, "Hey, you're settling in too well. let's test your emotional stability." I have gone five days, today is day six, without a cigarette. Yay me! Aside from waking up every two hours and having some really creepy dreams, I am doing ok.


Thursday and Friday made up for the last two weeks, though. I got to meet Bill Nye the Science Guy on Capitol hill and Helen Thomas at the National Press Club! It doesn't get much better than that! (I look really awkward in the pic, I know.)  I was really star struck and very shy around him. I grew up watching the show and was so nervous that I went up to him three seperate times. The second time, he actually said, "So, you're back again." I blushed so hard I almost fainted. HaHa. Seriously, though. Anyway, me and this other guy, (I think he was an intern for one of the representatives on the Hill, )got to talk to Mr. Nye about science and degrees and regualr stuff for about 15 minutes. I told him how every man in my family has a degree in either electric or mechanical engineering and then Bill Nye asked me what I was going to do for science. I told him that I want to be a health/science reporter and get my masters in biology. He said, "Good. You should definitely do that, becuase we regret the things we didn't do." So, now I have to get my masters in biology because Bill Nye the Science Guy told me to! HA I know, I am such a dork. I don't care though. 


Anyway, that was my Thursday. Friday is when I met Helen Thomas. I admire her for so many different reasons, which I will not go into here, because I don't want to. To keep it short, just know that I believe that she is a cornerstone of DC journalism and any future journalist would benefit greatly from meeting her!