Saturday, January 31, 2009

New Beginnings

I am from Oklahoma and I expected to have to get to used to a new way of doing things when I moved here to DC. I have always thought, because I had never been out of OK prior to this, that my home state was behind the times (so to speak) but I was wrong. OKC is just as modern as any other city in the US. Except, maybe with tattoos, since they weren't legal until about two years ago, and the conservative liquor laws.


So, I thought it would be interesting to look at the similarities and differences between the two cities: DC and OKC.


Here in DC,I hate not having a car, but I wouldn't want to drive in this city (and I don't say that because of driving laws and one way streets, we have those in OKC). I say that because the drivers here are insane! No offense to anyone, but sheesh! It is a much more aggressive driving situation.


I work at hyper speed back home and it is nearly impossible to get anything done in one day here as I could there. That is due to two differences: the reliance on public transit and the difference in store hours in Washington DC. OKC has many 24 hour stores, so you can get whatever you need, whenever you need it. It is not like that here. But, that's DC, I guess.


Other than that, the cities are pretty much the same. So, it really wasn't that difficult to get used to. Though, I really loathe walking...


All of that aside, I am glad I am here. There are more opportunities here for a career in journalism than there are in OKC. Back home the biggest paper there is the Oklahoman, owned by the Gaylords. They are very conservative and very Republican... here I am interning at Market News International and I love it. It is a wire service and I love the fast pace and turn around time. I love doing something different every day and meeting so many new people. It is a real challenge and I love challenges.


I am slightly nerve-racked on account of I graduate in December and have to find a job...but I am less nervous now that I have something like MNI on my resume. Also, I get to go out and cover stories everyday, so I will get a lot of material for my portfolio.


Changing gears a little, there is a song by One Republic that I love and it has become something of an anthem for me...it's called "Stop and Stare" and does a wonderful job describing how I feel at this point in my life. I look at everything I want to do in my career and I see people doing it and I wonder how long it will take until I am finally there, too...


Anyway, no more insight. Back to being in DC. I am very grateful for the opportunity to be here and if anyone reading this ever gets a chance, you should take it. If it seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity, it is and you won't get another chance, so take it and run as far as you can with it. I read a book, "Who Moved My Cheese?" I don't remember who wrote it, but it poses the question, "What would you do if you weren't afraid?" I try to keep that in mind when I have to make big decisions.


I hope you enjoy reading this...have fun where ever you are.