Tuesday, July 14, 2009

From Southern Girl to Big City Reporter

On May 24, I took the biggest leap of my life in moving from Petal, Mississippi to Washington, D.C. Although I had vacated in the big city, I had no idea what lie ahead. The nearest "big city" to me back home is Hattiesburg, with a population of approximately 50,000 (less than one tenth of the population of D.C.)
After the settling in and finishing the rigorous week long boot camp, I was sent out to my internship at the Hispanic Link to make something of myself. My first day in the office, I was sent to the press club to a luncheon to hear former Vice President Dick Cheney give his speech to the press. I couldn't believe it. My first official day as a reporter and I was standing just a few feet away from Dick Cheney.
As the week continued, I was given my own business cards, a congressional press pass and open access to just about any event I wanted to cover. It was incredible! Who would have thought that a small town southerner would be reporting in Washington D.C.?
Time passed and there were more events, more celebrities and more stories. But the big city glamor began to fade away. I missed my family and friends, my boyfriend, fishing at the lake, my swimming pool, the summer gardening and so much more.
My hopes of making it in the big city began to dissolve as I realized that my home in the south is where I belong. Never in a million years did I think that I would be saying this; but I am. I'm a southern girl who's heart is in the south.