Monday, June 23, 2008

D.C. with Dana

D.C. is so much more than I ever could have expected. Before coming here I, like most people, knew about the monuments, the memorials and the old buildings. However, knowing about them and actually experiencing them are two different things. All of the things I've read about these places didn't prepare me for the feelings of pride and awe at the way our great country is represented in D.C.

Still, the SIWJ program is not a vacation. The first week here is scary and I often felt like Amos threw me to a pack of wolves. Yet, as the weeks have gone by I understand why. There simply is no way of "easing" into life in D.C. Deciding to intern here is a big leap of faith, but in the end I can tell it's going to be worth it.

Before getting here I knew my internship would teach me things, but I never could've imagined the ways it would change my views. I am at Hispanic Link with my boss Charlie, who has been in the business for over twenty years. Charlie has given a voice to the Latino population through his weekly paper. He has been educating me daily on the issues that face the fastest-growing demographic in the country. Education, health care, immigration and equal rights are huge issues for Latinos, but how they are handled affects all Americans.

I had never even heard of the Link and wasn't aware of what a big deal it is. However, on my second day here I quickly figured it out. We attended a luncheon featuring congressmen and women, and other political leaders and instead of us having to run these VIPs down to get their stories, they came to us because of Charlie. It left me a bit awe-struck of my new boss.

Since then, interning at the Link has afforded me some amazing opportunities. I've been to luncheons with congress members, Capitol press conferences, Congressional hearings, museum press tours and more. I'm also looking forward to attending a few conventions where the presidential nominees are going to be featured speakers. None of this would be possible without the Link, Amos and the SIWJ program.

I'm not even sure yet how I feel about all I'm seeing and doing... I think it will hit me when I get home and look back at the pictures and see that it really was me doing all of these crazy things. I just know that right now I am thrilled to be here.

So, to avoid incessant rambling I will say farewell for now. I want to wish my fellow classmates good luck for the rest of our summer.

Dana