Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Halfway Point

"Are blogs news?" --Amos Gelb, SIWJDirector

Not when Jocelyn writes them!

We've been in DC now for four weeks, working hard and playing harder. I never imagined myself doing all of the things that we have done. Last week, we went to the Capitol and got to sit in the House Chamber, which gave me goosebumps. Next week, we are visiting the White House and will tour the east wing. This is all too funny to me though, because my internship has almost nothing political about it.

I am interning at Nature's Best Photography Magazine, a quarterly magazine, as an editorial assistant. They are producing the summer issue now, so I have been oh-so-busy trying my best to make the biggest imprint I can! Luckily, the managing editor has been out all week and its given me the opportunity to take on the work he would otherwise do. It is actually my first shot at editorial writing too, so this is a huge learning process for me. I feel that I have an amazing opportunity with them, because it is such a small business, with only six employees, and I am interviewing a lot of big names in photojournalism, people that I can only dream of talking to when flipping through the pages of National Geographic.

I am also meeting people through the SIWJ program, people that I may one day work with if we all stick the course in journalism. We've been going to Pride parades, enjoying the nightlife, and soaking in as much of DC as there is to soak in. All in all, if I could do this every summer, I would!