Wednesday, November 12, 2008

DC vs. KC

By Rachel

DC vs. KC

Being here for the last few months has been absolutely amazing but the home sickness has started to seep in. It has made me think of whether or not I could ever live this far away from my family for longer than a couple of months. It has also got me thinking about just how much I love both cities, which I will now opine.

DC > KC
1. The people here are so eclectic. Everyday I get mingled in with people who speak, dress, eat, and live differently than I do and it's overwhelming in such a great way. It makes me really believe that childhood motto of everyone is special.
2. This city raises my confidence. I get approached so often by men who just want to tell me I'm pretty. The past few years have been tough for me and no matter how narcissistic I sound, I was in need of that kind of attention.
3. It's inspiring here. It's been so long since I felt a patriotic bone inside me that I thought I was a self-loathing American. But living in this city has gotten rid of that attitude and has encouraged me to be proud of where I live again. For the first time in 8 years, I stood for the national anthem at the hockey game.
4. Art is everywhere. I'm not sure if Washingtonians appreciate it, but everywhere I go, I see art. From the advertisements in the subway, to the posters sold on the street, to every single statue here, the art exists and I appreciate it.
5. No one is caged by cars. It is so easy to walk from one end of the city to the other that I can't believe so many people even have cars here. That's so not possible in KC.

KC > DC
1. The food is better. Even though we have tons of chain restaurants, everything is home grown and organic. It's cheaper and no one really worries about carbs or fat, they worry about taste. Maybe I don't have a well developed palate, but I know what I like and I like KC food.
2. It's quiet. This place is so loud that it reaches a point of uncomfortableness. If my iPod, at it's loudest, can't be heard over a bus, something is wrong. And I miss sleeping without hearing the campus fire station updating me every five minutes.
3. Everyone is so pretentious in DC. Everything is about labels and images and bank accounts that I feel people choose their friends over these things. No one cares about that back home, and if they do, they get theirs kicked. Maybe DC needs a good kicking.
4. The festivals. DC doesn't have actual festivals. They say they do, but they don't. Kansas City has a festival every week practically. The Irish Fest, the Renaissance Festival, the Spirit Festival, the Psychic Festival, the Barbecue Festival...they're so great!
5. KC is the best of both worlds. We have the city aspect with the skyscrapers, the taxi cabs, and the upscale swanky places. But take a ten minute car ride and you're going to be in a rural area with cows and country barn restaurants. It's a great blend.

DC is great. But KC will always be my home.