Wednesday, April 22, 2009

#edemcamp and #POLC09

You may be asking yourself "What do those mean?"

Well, party people, those are hashtags that are used on the popular microblogging site Twitter. When you include hashtags in your tweets, it serves as sort of like a grouping device. If someone has something political to say and he or she is a conservative, he or she can use the hashtag #tcot meaning Top Conservative on Twitter. If you search #tcot at Twitter Search, you find a lot of conservative tweets!

#edemcamp was the hashtag for E-Democracy Camp. It was an un-conference (an informal conference that's largely 'user-created') that was about the Internet in democratic processes. The topics of government apps; making local, state, and national government more transparent, how to get young people more involved; making data more available; and improving government and campaign websites were discussed during the sessions.

#POLC09 was the hashtag for the 2009 Politics Online Conference. It was a two-day 'techie' conference that was about the use of Internet and technlogy in democracy. POLC09 featured elected officials who were using new technologies like Twitter or advanced applications to make elections run better. It also had sessions about the role of cell phones; applications and interfaces used to improve elections (such as Vote Report) and to allow people to get more involved; the future of campaign websites; and the role of new technology in things like congressional offices and campaign organizing.

I had the great opportunity to attend both of them! #edemcamp was graciously hosted by GW, and #POLC09 was put on by GW's Institute for Politics, Democracy, and the Internet. These conferences were filled with people who are extremely knowledgable about technology and politics. They are informed and opinionated, and it was a thrill for me to be around such smart people.

The types of computer applications that are being developed by people (like Click-to-Call and Mixed Ink) are amazing. I cannot in any way give justice to these three days.

I'm blogging about this largely to let poeple know that if something interests you, even if you're an amateur like I am, you NEED to check it out!!!!!

This fits in with a high school graduation speech that Conan O'Brien gave in 2006:

What I'm asking you to consider is that the next four years don't have to be just a stepping stone. You are very bright, impressive young people. But for the last four years, your GPA has been calculated to two decimal points and you've pushed yourselves very hard. Many of you have succeeded because you have stuck to a very rigid and linear path and that is fine, that's fine. All I'm asking you to do in college is to take a moment every now and then, breathe, look around you. If something intrigues you, take a small chance. You might just find your entire life you've been planning on. ...

The point is, at this moment, many of you have ideas of what you want to do with your life, but for many of you those ideas will change. And that's because you think you know who you are right now, but you really don't. ... But life and the choices I made have changed me in a thousand ways. None of it would have happened if I had rigidly kept my eyes on the prize and decided with great determination to follow my dream, because I didn't have the slightest idea what my dream was when I was 18. It had to find me.


I read that when I graduated from high school in 2007, and it has indeed shaped the way I look at opportunities and life. It's part of the reason why I am here in Washington, D.C., blogging to you today.

Thanks.