Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Procrastination Management

I would like to think of myself as a "master procrastinator." No matter how long I wait, I always seem to get things done.

However, I have to ask myself, "Does such a title truly exist?" I mean, there are rarely any advantages to waiting until the very last minute. Sure, the ability to finish a paper in a matter of days, running on little to no sleep, when you've had the whole semester to do it may give you some bragging rights but it's a miserable way to get through school. For me, little sleep = bed-ridden = absentees = behind in class = make up work = little sleep = sick = ...you get the picture.

I would like to say I've gotten better about planning ahead my last few years in college, but only to an extent. For example, the last paper I had was assigned, you guessed it, at the beginning of the semester. And when do you think I started? WRONG! I'll have you know, I started researching for that 20 pager well in advance- at least three weeks before it was due. Okay, so I didn't OPEN a library book until a week and a half before the due date, but at least I had them in my possession! Progress not perfection, my friends.

The truth is, I find it EXTREMELY difficult to MAKE myself work on something too far in advance. I'm sure there's some sort of mathematical equation I've subconsciously devised in my head. Unfortunately, I don't know how to alter the formula to decrease stress while increasing motivation and productivity.

I'm sure some would say working well under pressure is a strength, especially in my chosen profession. However, once you factor in a weakness such as "perfectionistic" tendencies (and yes, I consider that a weakness), it's hard to be satisfied with a finished product when I never have enough time to make it "perfect."