Sunday, April 19, 2009

The End is Near!

Sweet! (The one time I can say that and it doesn't sound like the end of times.) This weekend has been pretty awesome. It started sort of bad, so I didn't have high hopes, but I was pleasently surprised on Saturday. I was supposed to go to Target with a friend, who ended up cancelling on me, so I ended up going shopping by myself. It turned out pretty well. I ended up not going to Target though, because I got to metro center and decided to go check out H & M. I am sooo glad I went, because I found the perfect sundress!! I have been looking for three years now to find the perfect little dress and I finally did! Then, I found out there was a Payless just two blocks away and I found the cutest white wedges to go with the dress! I was disappointed because it was too chilly on Sunday to wear a dress...oh, well.


So, on Sunday, I went to the National Gallery of art!! It was soo amazing. There was so much to see that I spent the entire afternoon there. I went with my friend Mainjari which was perfect because we both love art and so we weren't rushed to get through. I found out that I prefer art styles prior to the post-modern style...also, I'm not a big fan of abstract. It just doesn't seem like art to me. When I think of art, I think of being able to convey emotions. When someone calls someone else an artist, even if they are not technically an artist, it is because they have a talent for something that goes beyond what most people have. When I look at abstract art, all I see is stuff that anyone could do. Heck, I had to reproduce a painting for art in high school and I chose to do an absract because it was sooo easy.


Anyway, enough of what art is and is not, at least in my opinion. The Gallery has so many paintings that I could never see in Oklahoma, which is why it was so much fun. Also, this week in Oklahoma is the Arts Festival. Every year in April, hundreds of local artists get together, outside, and show paintings, glass work (blown and sculptures), photographs, and anything else you can think of. There are three or four different stages and the festival is right around the Myriad Gardens. There is a water stage where local artists perform. There are a couple of other stages. A lot of dance schools perform and some local schools get their choirs to perform also. There's food, too and its so much fun!


Anway, I was disappointed because I go to the Arts Festival every year. I didn't get to go last year because I was sick and I didn't get to go this year, because I am here in DC. So, it was really awesome to go to the National Gallery of Art as a substitute...


Anyway, we only have 12 days left! And I can't wait to get home. There has been so much going on. So, that's all have to say for now we're so close to the end!