Thursday, July 3, 2008

Changing Expectations

On our first day of class, as Amos stood there telling us how SIWJ would fundamentally change us, I had my doubts. I’d heard it before. Many professors have given that speech on the first day, and I’ve left at the end of the semester without having to question anything and with my core beliefs still intact. But with less than a month left in the program, I can honestly say this program has changed me.



I came to D.C. with a completely idealistic view of the city and the world of public relations. I thought I was prepared and knew exactly what I wanted to do. I was wrong.



I’ve been obsessed with DC since I was little, and always thought I wanted to live here after graduation. I thought it was absolutely gorgeous, and full of the most important people in the world. Let me tell you a little secret about DC: it has rats. Seriously, walk around at night, you’ll see one. For a girl from the suburbs of North Carolina, that was quite an experience.



This isn’t to say I don’t still want to move here. I still think the city is amazing, and I’m actually getting to meet some of the big players of DC. In fact, I’m already making plans to be here next summer because I know it presents so many opportunities for me. But I’ve learned that everything isn’t always as it seems, and it doesn’t always turn out the way you want it to.



The perfect example is my internship. I am working for a public relations firm whose clients include the Obama campaign and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. I had dreams of attending fabulous charitable galas, and sitting in on campaign strategy meetings. Um, not so much. More like working on spreadsheets, making phone calls and research. Although, at first this was frustrating and disappointing, I’ve learned that this is an extremely valuable reality check for me. I am getting a glimpse of what my life would be like if I choose to move up to DC and work in a large corporate pr firm after graduation. You have to start small before you can be something big. It’s much better to find out now that this may not be the job for me than to find out after I accept a job. I still love politics, and I know that I want to do something in the political realm. Perhaps I’ll try to work for a smaller political strategy firm, or maybe even work as a reporter.

Not to mention, I've met some of the most amazing people up here. All of our speakers have talked about the power of networking, and I really hope that we all keep in touch and will be able to help each other out in the future. We all have such diverse interests, and I know that people in this program will be successful in their various ventures.

So I’ll admit it, Amos was right. I’ve already changed and the program isn’t even over yet. I haven’t figured out all the answers, but I’m starting to understand myself a lot better in the process, which is something I needed to do.