Tuesday, July 8, 2008

From Creative Writer to Journalist

I am not a journalism major. I come from a creative writing background and have no video or audio experience. After the first week here though, all of that changed. This summer has been a little overwhelming and I have been thrown into a lot of new situations: living in the city, public transportation, writing on a consistent basis for a newspaper, video editing and all the things that come with learning journalism and media communications.

I come from Cumberland MD. I have been to DC a few times, but I didn't ever think I would live here.
I have to say I am doing well with living in the city. My apartment rooftop is amazing with a view of the city unlike anything you have ever seen. I have bonded with many of the members in the class up there and I think its been a great place for all of us to come together and relax.

As far as writing for the newspaper, I have already had a few pieces published and have written a lot more that are in the kitty (A kitty is the place where stories, photos and pieces are help for future publication).  I know it's a little late, but I'm starting to think outside of the box and not rely on ideas for stories other people tell me to write. I am constantly thinking of new ideas, stories, angles and trying to see things in a different light.

My classmates are all interesting and much different from what I first expected. When I started talking to students the first few days, I realized  they are all experienced and very talented in their own ways. This intimidated me a little, since I had not had much if any journalism experience or courses in my background. I learned a lot from everyone here by just talking to them or working on group projects together. I took Amos’ advice on one of the first days when he said "Everyone has something to offer. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and give your input."

He was right. By taking an active role in the program I have learned how to edit and film and do audio and put short pieces together, something I never would have learned at my home school. I have learned how a newspaper runs and gets put together, from story ideas to interviews to layout, publications and distribution.  I have learned how to gather information and to write and more importantly, edit stories. 

This program has taught me a lot about journalism and has given my résumé a major boast. I am not getting credit for this program but that doesn't matter to me because I have learned valuable lessons that will help me in the future. 

It has been a truly great experience. 

Amos also said this program would change our aspect on life and what we wanted to do with it. This couldn't be more true. I have gained so much insight on the media field and my own personal direction, now my eyes have been opened to the world around me.  In the Fall I am transferring from Shippensburg University to The University of Maryland.  I'll be at a bigger  school that will help me to succeed and I will also be closer to DC, a location I like a lot now.