Thursday, July 24, 2008

A midsummer night's blog...

I feel like I just got here and already it’s almost time to leave. When I look back on this experience, I wonder if it will seem like the whirlwind that it actually has been. These last few weeks will be the worst of all. I made a checklist of all the things I need to do before I go, but my greatest fear is getting back to Georgia and realizing that I didn’t do any of the things I should have. So today I’ll talk about the things I have done/will do at my internship and the things I have done/will do outside of work.

Before I say anything, though, I just want to comment on how amazing and awesome my internship at CBS News in DC has been. With the help of my supervisor I’ve done a ton of things and met a ton of people that have taught me so much. So far, I’ve been to a political dinner (where all kinds of people spoke), and met Lewis Black, Lara Logan, Bob Schieffer, and most of the CBS Evening News correspondents in DC. I’ve learned a million things about radio, broadcast, and the different roads that can lead you to different careers in journalism. I’ve also been able to shadow an accomplished journalist and his noteworthy colleagues up close and personal. It’s been ridiculous. I couldn’t ask for more. Before I leave, though, I’m also going to shadow someone who covers the White House, someone who reports on the goings on at the Capitol and one of the female correspondents for the Evening News. All in one summer. I really can’t believe it.

Outside of CBS I’ve been doing a lot, too. We’ve visited all kinds of places and heard from speakers that have had some pretty striking things to say. I still want to go and see all of the historical things in DC, though. Like the Declaration of Independence, the memorials and all of the other things that tourists usually come to do. There’s also a Madame Tussaud’s wax museum here like the one I went to in NYC. I think that would be a lot of fun to do, too.

When I think about everything that I’ve seen since I’ve been here this summer, it makes me feel like so much has gone on. There can’t be any other place in the world where someone can collect so many awesome experiences in such a short time. I’ve been throwing around the idea of coming back in the future to work for a few years after I graduate. I love the level of achievement that younger people can find in this city. It just seems like anything is an option and anyone can just stumble into success. That may seem cheesy, but I really feel that way. Coming to DC has to be one of the coolest things I’ve ever done and I’m really appreciative of everything that has happened. So I guess that’s everything. The past month or so in a nutshell and my big plans for the future. See what I mean about the whirlwind?

Shari