Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Empowerment of Washington DC

For months, I had been looking forward to coming to Washington DC, full of optimism and confident I had the talent to work hard and reap the benefits the city had to offer. Yes, I have worked hard and yes, I have reaped benefits. Although, they are not the work or the benefits that I was expecting. Washington DC has been a work in progress for me from the very first week, until this very minute, and there are only a few more weeks ahead of me.

My internship was not what I was expecting. However, I was very privileged to have two internships. For me, an ideal internship combined class lessons with situations in the workplace. The exchange would be similar to that of a mentor with a student. I lucked out and was able to have the ability to learn more than I thought I would have in an office environment. Together, my mentor and I were able to solve dilemmas, create dynamic pitches, and learn more about ourselves.

I have learned more about myself in these past few weeks than I could in a lifetime. When I return to my home university, I will be picking up another major, adding more expertise to my resume and my area of concentration. The classroom portion of this program has taught me that the world of journalism is constantly moving forward and I need to move with it. I have had more confidence in situations that were not under my control than I ever had in my entire life.

Life is a series of new experiences, some of which you will never have been in or would not normally seek. Sometimes you will be backed against a wall and will need to find a solution to get out. For me, I found my solution with a tremendous amount of support and courage and went for what I believed was right.

Most of all, I have learned invaluable life lessons. Working for what you believe in is more important than working hard. If something is not right to you, then you should follow your gut instinct and get out of the situation. Sometimes organizations do not have a solid structure, but it is up to you to figure out where you will blend in. Seek help and advice and question every action. You as a person are more important than performing work that will put you in an unethical position and you should know the difference, because knowing the difference will stop a lot of headaches.

Every experience has its lessons and what you take away from these lessons is the most important part. For me, lessons in Washington DC have taught me to follow my instincts and what I believe is right. Surround yourself with those on your side, get some confidence, and you will be empowered to do anything.