Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Future Begins

Thanks be to God. This has absolutely been the best summer of my life. The people I've met, the experiences I've had, and the lessons I've learned have all met and exceeded expectations.

I spent the first two years of college in a small school in Carrollton, Georgia, with few opportunities to grow as a person. The University of West Georgia is largely a commuter school, and students who attend the school have more than likely grown up in Atlanta and attended high school in the city as well. So, I knew my surroundings, went home whenever I wanted, and didn't get an opportunity to venture out of my comfort zone at all. 

Broadcast television and politics have always been two obsessions of mine, so I knew that eventually I would end up in Washington, D.C. So, during the Fall semester of my sophomore year, I knew it was time that I did something about that. I applied for this program, and by the grace of God, Amos gave me the opportunity to spend a summer with SIWJ. When I visited the school over Spring Break this year, I was so struck by the school and the opportunities available that I decided to apply. I was admitted as a transfer student about four weeks ago.

Most of the students in this program will be leaving in a couple days, but I'll remain in the city for another month of my internship, plus another two years while I finish my degree at GW. So, this doesn't feel like the end to me--at all. It feels like my future is really just getting started. This program gave me the opportunity to see things I never thought I would ever see, and do things I thought I would never do at age 19. My internship at CNN in "The Situation Room" was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Working alongside Brian Todd, Carol Costello, Abbi Tatton, and Wolf Blitzer is something I never would have had the chance to experience had it not been for SIWJ. It's been amazing to see firsthand how the news is made, and I'm extremely blessed because I also know what I want--and DON'T want--to do in this business. I've helped produce packages that hundreds of thousands of people watched on TV. I've also seen people do jobs that I once thought were for me--and now I know unequivocally that they are not. And this is all before I take my first class as a GW student! 

SIWJ has been an incredible experience. I know there's so much more in store for me at this school and I couldn't be more humble and thankful for this opportunity.