Friday, July 25, 2008

The end is near....

My experience here this summer has taught me so many things about the journalism field, and more importantly it taught me a lot about myself. I came into the program gung-ho about producing for news. All I wanted to do was be the person who got to play with the run down, organize the stories and compile them into the show we see on the newscast. But coming out of this program I have realized that what I thought was my dream job is actually very far from it. And it was not that my internship was bad, it was wonderful. Working at WTTG (local fox station) was a great experience. I got to go anywhere I wanted within the station and learn all aspects of broadcast news. But while there I realized I did not have the drive, the passion, for producing for news. And after talking with Amos I knew what direction I wanted to go in. I remembered that in my statement of interest for journalism school, and then again for the summer program talked about my other dream...

"After achieving a dual degree in journalism and history I would like to be able to produce historical and educational programming. By doing this I would be able to help people learn about a subject in which I am very passionate about. I would love to be able to have the opportunity to help others fall in love with history and its many exciting events..."

It was right in front of me the whole time. This was always a dream I thought I could have later on, after I had fulfilled my dream for the news. But I needed to pursue production for documentaries, maybe historical documentaries now. I watched them all the time as a kid with my dad. We would turn on the history channel and watch something on World War I or World War II. I was the kid in high school who loved watching those history clips your teacher turned on...I was never the one to fall asleep. And while I am disappointed in myself for not being able to love news production as much as I thought I would, I am happy that I still have time left at Georgia to explore other aspects of journalism. I am trying to enroll in a documentary class which will help me to learn more about that field.

I truly believe had I not come on this program I may not have had this realization until later on in life. After I had been at a production job I did not 100% love. I don't want to be one of those people staring at my watch, waiting to leave work. I want to love every minute of it. Otherwise, is it really worth it? And by knowing where that love is not at, I can search for the place I will be truly happy. And if I do not find that place...well I may just have to make one up. After all, journalism is constantly evolving and changing. And I am excited to be a part of that change.

All I can say is that this program was worth every penny we payed because the knowledge and skills are wonderful and I know they will serve us well, but what we learned about ourselves is priceless.