Monday, June 29, 2009

10 Feet From Obama, Helen Thomas Picture... GREAT SUCCESS

Before coming to DC I joked with my family and friends about how Barack Obama was my neighbor and because of my awesome basketball skills, he might invite me to shoot hoops at the White House (one can only dream)! Obviously the second part will never happen unless I grow another foot and become a basketball all-star like Dwight Howard. But... I am proud to say I stood within 10 feet of Obama at his 4th White House Press Conference.

Last Tuesday, Rebecca Cooper (the anchor I work with at WJLA/NewChannel 8) and I set out for the White House Rose Garden, but when we arrived we were informed we'd be crammed into the Press Briefing room (which isn't as big as it looks) because of "humidity". Reporters later said, "It was the most packed [they've] seen the briefing room since the Monica Lewinsky scandal during the Clinton administration."



Rebecca told me before it began I had to do the "first-time reporters" thing. First I met HELEN THOMAS.... most well-known White House journalist.





Then I stood at the podium President Obama was about to speak from...





Finally, I stood my ground at the front to hold a place for Rebecca to stand (seats reserved for daily press). I did this for about 2 hours (I'm in pink, holding a newspaper)



When the President walked in, the room was silent (with the exception of cameras going crazy).As Obama took the podium to address the US position on Iran, health care and the economy (as usual), I stood in awe of the president. I couldn't pay attention to the words coming out of his mouth because I was in awe of how surreal this was. Finally I came to when he began to answer questions and actually learned a lot. Evidently I was on TV too!!!


This is my favorite moment of my internship so far and I'm so grateful to Rebecca for giving me the chance to go. I'm still hoping to take on the President in a 1 on 1 challenge though. So President Obama if you're reading this... call me and we'll set the time and place!