Thursday, June 18, 2009

I Know Enough About DC To Be a "Tour Guide?"



This past weekend two ladies that I know from Mexico came to visit D.C. It was the start to their two week long vacation in Pennsylvania. My mom and younger sister drove down from PA to pick them up and bring them to spend the weekend with me at my aunt and uncle’s house. One of the women visited D.C. a long time ago and the other has never been here. Neither had my sister. Even though I haven’t been living in the D.C. area for long, it was up to me to figure out what to do with everyone and where we should go. It was a different place than I have been used to being these last couple of weeks. Everyone else has been giving me tours and teaching me how to get around. This weekend was my turn to show off what I had learned.I started the day by showing them how to use the metro system. Then I had to direct everyone to which station we needed to get off. I decided we should get off at the Smithsonian so we could be in the middle of the monuments and Smithsonian museums. This turned out to be a smart choice. We spent the afternoon in the Smithsonian Castle and Museum of Natural History. Then, we headed back outside to walk down the mall to Abraham Lincoln and his memorial. My friends and family enjoyed the walk and got some fun pictures at the different monuments. It was an exciting weekend for me. As corny as it sounds, I was proud to be considered knowledgeable enough to lead a group of people around downtown!