Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Excitement! ... of the wrong sort

I have been here in D.C. for just over a week, and it has been all sorts of exciting, wonderful, etc. I am interning at Washington Monthly magazine, which has been great: The work isn’t too hard or too boring (they DON’T have me getting coffee), the people have been welcoming and they gave me my own office, right across the hall from the editor-in-chief’s.

It has been going great … until a few days ago.

Paul Glastris, the editor-in-chief, ducked in Monday afternoon to tell me that someone from the office next door to us has come down with what may be swine flu.

Apparently, one can carry it for about a week before experiencing any symptoms, and it can linger on surfaces

(for example, in the bathroom I just used) for several days. The elevator operators are being tested. A man with a surgical mask just disinfected my doorknob, and I have decided to limit myself to one bathroom stall. Really, though, by continuing to come to work, I might as well be doing this.

Who knows? By the time you read this, I might already be infected.