Friday, June 26, 2009

Oh thank God and Zeus and Buddha and whoever else, it’s 7-11.


No 24/7 Mcdonald’s. No late night pizza. Not even a damn cup of coffee. Welcome to Foggy-Bottom, GWU campus- where they take your money and don’t even provide you with a place to eat. Okay, that’s stretching it, but I’m pretty sure nine out of 10 restaurants, on this side of town, close their doors at 6 p.m.

And my usual late night snack? Too bad I didn’t wear my tennis shoes with my power suit today because I’d have to walk from A to Z just for some french fries. I thought I moved to a big city, not South Dakota.




Luckily, for all us D.C. interns the oh-so-familiar 7-11 pulled through for us. Yes, I know, 7-11 isn’t exactly a restaurant or even a fast-food joint, but when there’s nothing else around, it does the trick:

Operating 24/7, it’s open when we need it the most.
It has variety- ranging from two-day-old hot dogs to (what I’m sure are) extremely fresh garden vegetables.
And above all else, it has that wonderful invention:

The Slurpee.

Time and time again (like at least five days a week) the 7-11 Slurpee has come through for us. It’s become such a hot commodity that I think we’ve collected enough Slurpee cups to replace our Solo cups.

And because 7-11 is basically our GWU version of Central Perk we don’t have to deliberate over what flavor to get- we’ll just try a new flavor tomorrow. (Although, my usual GWU 4-ride driver recommends the watermelon, with the exception of reserving wild cherry for a wild Saturday night.)



So whether I have the need to quench my thirst after interning for eight hours, followed by five hours of class projects or I simply just want a day-old donut, there’s only one place I turn to: Foggy Bottom’s 7-11.