Monday, June 29, 2009

Combining All Into One: DC + My Experience + SIWJ Class

Over the last 4 weeks I feel as though I have been the closest to my ultimate dreams, yet the furthest away. As I continue to learn about this city, the opportunities, and my love for journalism within politics, the excitement is a constant reminder of where I belong.

As I sit in my apartment and gaze out my window, it still feels like a dream. The monuments are real. The humid air flowing in the window is a continuous reminder that I have finally made it to DC. After growing up visiting our nation’s Capitol I knew that at some point I would end up here. SIWJournalism is my first step… the ultimate step… or leap of faith.

I have had so many great experiences after 4 short weeks in DC. From the Capitol, to speakers, class and embassies, the opportunities never rest.

I hope to apply every opportunity of this amazing city with what I am currently learning in my Semester in Washington classes. I have had a personal blog since the beginning of last semester, strictly using it to post for a technology/ media class at Creighton, and nothing else.

After attending a Republican National Committee Women’s Leadership Summit last Friday, I now know the direction I want it to go in. With a little bit of help from the skills learned from SIWJ and an RNC speaker and former intern, I decided to re-focus my blog to “What An Omaha Girls Needs to Know to Survive in Washington DC.”

I am excited to continue in the world of New Media and add it to my Public Relations background. With my involvement in politics and Capitol Hill, I know they will come in handy while having fun with my new blog idea.

I will definitely check back in!