Sunday, June 21, 2009

What I have learned since arriving in D.C.


D.C. is nothing like I thought it was going to be! Below is a list of things I thought I would share about what I have observed since I came here three weeks ago:

  1. If D.C. had an official animal it would be the rat. I have seen so many rats running across the streets. It's ridiculous the size of them too.
  2. Avoid driving here at all cost. Walk or take the Metro. It's much more efficient and easier.
  3. If you fall in your new shoes and cute dress in the Metro. You won't die of embarrassment. It happens to everyone
  4. D.C. has a magical aurora about it. You can be completely exhausted and busy or mising sleep and putting in crazy hours at your internship because you are still happy. I wake up everyday smiling because I am here.
  5. Most of the guys I have seem in D.C. are super cute in their suits and business wear. Very nice.
  6. My internships with The Georgetowner newspaper is the best internship in the city!!! Amos and Susan (the program directors) were totally right when they said this. I have a chance to do actual journalism with this newspaper. I already have clips and am working on more and I have only been here for 3 weeks. You can't beat that.
  7. The Lincoln Memorial (or as all of us in the SIWJ Summer '09 class call it, Abe's House) is the coolest place to hang out in D.C. Standing at the top of the steps and turning around to see the Washington Monument in the reflecting pool and the Capitol behind is beautiful. Everytime I go visit the monument I feel so lucky.
  8. I have made some life long friends in this program. This really is the best group of people I could have ask for to spend my summer with.
  9. I am amazed that I really haven't gotten homesick yet. I thought I was going to miss my family and friends terribly, but so far I have been OK. I miss them, but it's nothing like I thought it was going to be when I left home. I think it has a lot to do with the people I am with and how busy I have been.
  10. If the Lincoln Memorial is my favorite place in D.C., then the Newseum is the second. That place is amazing and it is especially great for any journalism junkie like myself. Chanel (the other girl in the program who interns at the Georgetowner with me) and I wrote an article about one of its new exhibits, "Our World at War: Photojournalism Beyond the Front Lines." Let me know what you think!
  11. Most importantly, aside from learning about journalism, I have learned about myself. I have learned that it's ok to want what I want and to go for it! I learned that if I try I may actually just might get it. I finally believe that now. I think I just needed to get a way from all the distractions and out of my comfort zone to realize it. DC has helped me to see that.

I have learned much more than 11 things since I have been here, but these are the only ones I can think of right now and the best ones I wanted to share!