Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hard, ain't it hard



Let's face it, everyone: journalism is stressful. For my job back on the student paper in Austin, Texas, I dealt with serious questions about campus news. I usually wasn't out of work earlier than 2 or 3 in the morning. I didn't get paid very much, and most of the students didn't read what we put out. But if we got anything wrong, the school administration and our professors would come down on us like a ton of bricks.

There are a lot of really sad and depressing news stories out there in the world, and we journalists have to deal with them every day. On top of all that, the job market for us journalists-in-training isn't very forgiving right now, and the few jobs that are available barely pay enough to get by. Sometimes, the stress is almost too much.

Luckily for us, there's cuteoverload.com. When being serious and respected takes it's toll, you can turn here for a little bit of lighthearted stress relief. I know I do.